2023-2024 Veterans & Military Support Program
The VFW offers a wide range of assistance programs aimed at helping service members and veterans of every generation. As a veteran, you understand better than most what struggles and hurdles today's service members and veterans face. Whether you're a VFW liaison, chairman or you just want to understand the different types of assistance the VFW provides, the resources and forms here help ensure your Post has the most up-to-date program information. You're always there to help support military families before, during and after deployment and these resources are here to support you!
Need to make your Post or Department Veterans & Military Support Program donation for All-American? Donations made toward VMS to fulfill the 2023-2024 All-American requirement will only be accepted through the following link. Do not donate through your Department or by any other means
VFW's "Sport Clips Help A Hero Scholarship"
● Scholarship FAQ - Everything you need to know about the scholarship program
● Scholarship Application - Find out if we're currently accepting applications
● Unmet Needs
● Frequently Asked Questions - Get answers to all your Unmet Needs program questions.
● Eligibility Criteria - Find out what criteria and situations qualify for assistance
● Application - Service members and veterans can apply online, so feel free to assist them with the process.
● BK Non-participating Locations Flyer - Encourage Burger King franchisees to join the Unmet Needs campaign
● Unmet Needs Donation Form - Complete this form and support the Unmet Needs program today.
Military Assistance Program (MAP)
● MAP Grant Procedures - MAP Grants 101
● MAP Grant Application - Access our online MAP grant application.
● MAP Grant Report - MAP grant required after-action report.
● Adopt-a-Unit FAQ - Find the answers to your questions about the Adopt-a-Unit program
● Adopt-a-Unit Application - Get active and submit your Adopt-a-Unit application today.
● Adopt-a-Unit Report - Keep your adoption active by telling us what you're doing for the unit.
● How To Find a Unit - Tips for locating a military unit near you for possible adoption
● Adopt-a-Unit for Military - Help get your local military units involved with the VFW
● Memorial Commendation FAQ - Honor fallen soldiers with a VFW commendation.
Student Veterans of America (SVA)
● Student Veteran Outreach Guide - What you need to know about reaching out to local student vets.
● SVA Liaison Report - Tell us about the events you've hosted in support of an SVA chapter.
● FAQ for Student Veterans - Every student veteran has questions. so we've compiled the answers
● Little-Known Facts - Extra opportunities student veterans might not know about
https://bit.ly/3e0f9hB Unmet Needs Burger King Flyer
SAMPLE Ways to Promote VMS Programing
SAMPLE #1 VFW POST 1234 – SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
HELPING OUR COMMUNITY IN NUMEROUS WAYS WITH INNOVATIVE & NEEDED PROGRAMS!
• On November 10, 2012, our Post sponsored a fall Stand-Down Event for 350 area homeless veterans. We provided information on medical care and other social service referrals, operated a soup kitchen, and handed out winter clothing.
• For the past ten years, we have contributed over $25,000 in college scholarships to local students for Patriot’s Pen and Voice of Democracy (patriotic student essay contests).
• Allowed the use of our Post building free-of-charge to various other non-profit groups such as the Boy Scouts, Rotary Club, Seattle Homeless Coalition, etc.
• Collected products and shipped over 500 care packages to Washington state troops stationed in Afghanistan.
• Our Auxiliary organized a Christmas party for the children of military personnel stationed overseas.
• Bought $1,500 worth of needed supplies for the Lake County Orphanage.
• Regularly visit hospitalized veterans at the Seattle VA Medical Center. We also provide them with needed supplies that boost their morale. Simply list other activities that benefitted the community that your Post conducted. Hand this out to potential donors or include it as an attachment if you are sending out a fundraising letter.